When young people are able to reach their full potential, personally and academically, the future is brighter for all of us. We are proud to support organizations that use mentorship, adventure, and fun to encourage positive growth and support kids and young adults through challenges like the pandemic.
Guiding Young People through a Strange Summer: A Dispatch from Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (BBBSA)
As part of the Foundation’s global pandemic relief initiative, SNF helped support 15 local BBBSA agencies around the U.S.
The Teams Helping Get Young New Yorkers through the Pandemic
It’s a particularly challenging time for young people in New York. Building on existing partnerships with each of the organizations, SNF has made new pandemic-relief grants to nine stellar nonprofits that use sports activities as a framework to support young New Yorkers—in every area of life—as they grow and thrive.
Madison Square Boys & Girls Club Opens a New Clubhouse to Support Kids in Harlem
The young people who participate in New York’s Madison Square Boys & Girls Club say that it’s hard to overstate how important the organization’s clubhouses are in their lives. With the opening of a new clubhouse in New York City’s Harlem neighborhood, the benefits of a local clubhouse will extend to hundreds of kids in the area.
Venturing into the Wilds of Staten Island
If you ask a New Yorker to recommend the city’s best assets, chances are good they’ll mention a park. A program in Staten Island has helped middle schoolers from underserved areas of the borough access, enjoy, and learn from this asset.
Climbing Ratlines and Hoisting Sails Aboard the Stavros S. Niarchos
SNF grants to Tall Ships Youth Trust sought to help foster personal development through voyages on the high seas.
Young Filmmakers Connect with Pros to Tell Their Stories
Young people who have been incarcerated on Rikers Island, are beginning a new life in Berlin after moving from Aleppo, and are seeing the effects of a cultural shift in Senegal have connected with established filmmakers to tell their stories through BYkids.
Explore more grants
- Full-time mentors for high schoolers through Summer Search New York City
- Career services and mentoring at Metropolitan College of New York
- Mentorship and theater at the 52nd Street Project
- An after-school STEM Mentoring Program for New York City middle schoolers from the New York Academy of Sciences
- Breakthrough New York in providing summer and after-school tutoring to middle schoolers from low-income backgrounds
- Harlem Educational Activities Fund in providing academic and socioemotional support, as well as cultural enrichment, to students in sixth grade through college
- Sponsors for Educational Opportunity in providing direct assistance as well as academic, personal, and technical assistance to families adapting to distance learning to help students focus on academics
Learn more about how SNF is working to build a bright and inclusive future for the next generation